Sunday, May 13, 2007

It Begins!


Hello all! After the success of my last blog, and my difficulty in keeping contact already, I decided to do one for this summer. As many of you know, I am working as a waitress (the politically correct term now is “server” though) in the Lake Hotel Dining room. It is very luxurious and expensive and I should make lots of money. Because of that, I will be wearing a black and white penguin suit. But once the tips start rolling in, I don’t think I’ll mind much.
I took my first long drive by myself across the state to get here. After a long nine hours, I arrived at the Hoeninghausen’s in Gardiner. They are the most awesome people in the world, and staying with them is like staying with family. I played some basketball with Tori, and she impressed me with her monkey climbing skills.
I got up and checked in, and made my way to Mammoth for orientation and then to Lake to check into the dorms. After living in France, I caught myself expecting the worst and thinking I would be alone all summer. Instead, with the other friendly Americans, I quickly made friends with my suitemates and many other people in my dorm. Anke (my roomie from Wisconsin, is great), and I also share a bathroom with a girl from Georgia and one from Kentucky. They are awesome, but like a group of 20 year old girls, we have to sit up talking about things at night when I just want to go to bed. Here are a few of my new friends and I hanging out by the lake last night:
I went through my first day of training today, and it was long and boring. Rather than starting us on learning the menu or other valuable information, it was more of the “don’t drink chemicals!” type stuff. And then I had to go through 4 hours of alcohol awareness training, and I honestly needed a beer by the end of it.
I haven’t met too many folks from Wyoming. But with the ones that I have, we have had to stand and talk to each other until we find out how we know each other. Apparently this practice is unique to Wyoming, and makes my new Midwestern-Southern friends laugh. But, I have noticed that they are all repeating words I use. They all went from saying “Bison” to “Buffalo” and “Pronghorns” to “Antelope” after I used those words a lot. I haven’t gotten up later than 6am the last few days, and I think this may be a trend that continues.
More to come on the Yellowstone Adventure!

6 comments:

Jim Macdonald said...

Hi there.

Thanks so much for sharing your work experiences. When I worked in Yellowstone (Grant Village) in the mid-1990s and before that there was no way for people to share what was going one with them. Even when there was internet, we didn't have it in Yellowstone.

I'm looking forward to reading more. I've posted this in the Yellowstone Newspaper.

You should have the time of your life. I know I did.

Cheers,
Jim

Anonymous said...

You went to Yellowstone to work as server? That's quite a gig.

Anonymous said...

Well, I will miss you this summer, maybe I will try and visit. Anywho, you never sent me that email with your landlord's contact info. Love you!
:)Cait
P.S. I hope Yellowstone doesn't blow up while you are there.

Amanda said...

sounds like a sweet summer job lady. i hope you have fun-are you going to be coming back at all over the summer, or are you staying in yellowstone all summer long?

Unknown said...

Molly,

I must say that I am completely jealous of you being in Yellowstone right now. I wish so bad that I was there in the park for just one more summer. I'm going through withdrawals lol. Well, have fun for me in YNP this summer.

And hey, don't worry if it blows up while you are there. At least you'll have front row seats (that's what I used to tell all the tourists when they'd ask if I was worried!).

Y.Dick Hoening said...

Nice job on the blog site Molly! And thanks for the kind words. Great shot of the elusive "Chimpus Victorius."

I know you'll have a great summer, but if things ever start to weigh on you, allow the Lake to help. Spending some quality solitary moments on the shores of Yellowstone Lake can be the most healing and refreshing time of your life. Enjoy it while you can.

YDH