Monday, May 21, 2007

Work, work, work...


I have started work! I did fine on my first night and morning. I had a few difficulties with being double and triple sat (that’s getting one or more tables sat in my section for you non-restaurant folks) because our hosts have never done this before and seem to constantly be getting me confused with the other red-haired waitress here. But, when I wasn’t scrambling, I did fine and didn’t make any big mistakes. Also, I made over $100 in tips on a relatively slow night. The only thing that is a shame is that we are under-staffed and I am currently working the night shift until about midnight and have to be up at 5am the next morning for breakfast. I can’t say I enjoy this whole “scheduling your employees to only get 4 hours of sleep” thing.
But, as I have been reminded by Matt (see, I mentioned you!) and my mom, that is the nature of the beast. I have the job I wanted and am only working seasonally, so I better work my little butt off. I and the other lake servers stand to make thousands over the summer.
I credit quite a bit of the first night success to a practice we call “shakedown” in which we practice waiting on other employees for practice the day before the Hotel opens. I had a table of Jamaican employees that all ordered the buffalo prime rib and were angry when I brought them the cut of meat they ordered rather than actual ribs. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at them picking at their first-class steaks and muttering. The best part of this, however, is that when we aren’t serving, we get to be sat and waited on. And still better is that we can order whatever we want on the menu and eat it for free! I got to have elk medallions and lobster for free! That was a good night.
So the work part still needs a few kinks to be worked out, but other than that, the ball is rolling on my crazy summer. Also, I just got to spend a few great days with my parents while my dad was signing books at Old Faithful. More on that to come!
Oh, and it is snowing here. Welcome to Wyoming.

2 comments:

Becky B said...

Hey, I like all your pitchures. :-)

Glad you started a new blog, Molly Jo. It sucks we cant ever get in enough direct talk time, it is nice to see what you are up to.
I must say, however, I am jealous that you are making so much money. Wanna send me some, please?

Don't feed the bears.

Amanda said...

it snowed? ha ha. yay wyoming.

glad you're having fun at your new job!